Finder (from OS X El Capitan) crashes when it try's to connect to smb-shares

• Hello,

two days ago I decided to go the OMV 3 route. I installed everything on my main server (see sig.) made every possible update (v3.0.30) and also updated to the 4.6 backport kernel.
    I made everything like I did within OMV2 (Snapraid, mergefs with 3 hdd drives, created two users, created shared folders, gave the shared folders read/write permissions to the users, installed smb and added the shared folders to it).
    With my iMac (El Capitan 10.11.5 with all the latest updates) I could connect to my OMV, within Finder (this is like the explorer within Windows) the shared folders showed up, but when I tried to open them, Finder crashed and showed an error window with the message that I don't have the permissions to open the shared folder.
    The same problem I had also with my MacbookAir with Mavericks installed.
    First I thought the problem came from the migration of the existing shares from the OMV2 installation. So I deleted everything (and formatted all the drives) and installed OMV3 new. I did everything the same which I did with OMV2 and my first OMV3 installation. Even here Finder crashed. I tried both users and with both Finder crashed. So I gave one user superuser-privileges but this didn't help.
    I was very upset about this (because it's my main machine and I needed the files) so I installed OMV2 from scratch again (like I did within OMV3) and voila smb-shares works like before installation of OMV3.

Now my question is, if someone faces the same issue or knows how to solve this matter. I've searched the www and found somewhere a small posting, according to the new Debian 8, that this guy had problems with connecting his OSX computer to the smb shares from Debian 8 (he also couldn't connect to them). But there was no answer to his posting.

Now I want to know if others with their OS X have problems to connect to the smb-shares of OMV3 (with the latest kernel installed - I didn't test with the "original kernel").

Thanks in advance

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

If possible compare the file permissions of the shared folder directories in /media/xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx with OMV2 and OMV3. I do not have a Mac, so i can not help you here except checking some important basic settings.

• Thanks I will do that when I have time to test again. I thought that are also some Apple users here who can confirm this issue or just say: "hey, my setup works perfekt with every apple client". Just do know if it's a problem according to my setup or a problem according to Apple (with SMB).

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Hi Huberer, I'm trying OMV3 in a virtual machine, I have a raid5 with four disks and shared via SMB.
    I'm using OSX 10.11.6 and I can seamlessly access the shared folder with finder.

5.6.5-1 (Usul)
    HP ProLiant G7 MicroServer N54L AMD Turion II / 4GB
    Kingston SSDNow 200 30GB (OS), 4 x WD red 2TB SATA3 (Data)

• Thanks for the info. Yesterday evening I've installed Virtualbox on my OMV-server and installed OMV3 as VM. My iMac can connect to these shared folders without any problems (via smb). So I really don't understand why it wasn't working on my first test. I did really the same while in bare-metal and in VM. Maybe it has something to do with Snapraid and mergerfs because in Virtualbox I only added one virtual drive as data drive.
    When I have time I will test again with my real setup.
    Thanks anyway

• Sorry, I don't want to edit my last posting because I think this is a relevant info and should be posted extra.

If someone else is having this problem it looks that the issue comes from mergerfs (which I use on my snapraid) in combination with samba shares. Look at this thread here.

@admins

Maybe this issue could be fixed with an update of the unionfilesystem-plugin, couldn't it?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!