Is OMV3 (Erasmus) still in beta or is it considered stable?

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are a couple of ways of looking:

Look at bintray. The erasmus repos are OMV 3.x.

The omv-extras home page shows you the plugins. If there is a version number, then it is ready for OMV 3.x. If no version number, then it is not ready.

As for stable, I think I have mentioned many times that core OMV 3.x is good. Just depends on what plugins you use.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Let's Encrypt, Fail2Ban are missing in there.
    I currently running some software that aren't plugins such as NextCloud.
    Am I able to use my current kernel 4.7.2 in OMV3 once I upgraded?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a reason those plugins aren't in there.
    let's encrypt hasn't been ported.
    fail2ban is almost done.
    Lots of people run owncloud/nextcloud without a plugin.
    Your kernel should be recompiled on OMV 3 since OMV 3 is Debian Jessie (8.x) and OMV 2.x is Debian Wheezy (7.x). The 4.6 kernel is in jessie-backports though (use omv-extras install backports button). I have it on all of my systems.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Kernel 4.6.7 is EOL, why you guys don't use 4.7.x for OMV3?

I have explained this many, many times. OMV is Debian and uses whatever kernel Debian releases. I'm sure they will have 4.7 in the backports repo soon. Being EOL doesn't mean they can't backport fixes. Most commercial NASes that are a couple of years old are using an EOL'd kernel. That doesn't mean you NAS will explode if you keep using it.

• I have explained this many, many times. OMV is Debian and uses whatever kernel Debian releases. I'm sure they will have 4.7 in the backports repo soon. Being EOL doesn't mean they can't backport fixes. Most commercial NASes that are a couple of years old are using an EOL'd kernel. That doesn't mean you NAS will explode if you keep using it.

If you use an old kernel with an old hardware is fine usually.
    The problem is for everyone like me that with a new hardware it's impossible to install debian with kernel 3.16. Also the newest kenerl can manage better the cpu and you will have less consumes

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• @Blabla,

I'm seeing your signature says that you're using OMV3 with kernel 4.5.7, and your computer still have issue with new hardware?

I'm using the 4.7.2 right now. But BTW I don't have any problem, I had problems when I had to install OMV, it was troublesome because 3.16 didn't detect the network card

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you use an old kernel with an old hardware is fine usually.
    The problem is for everyone like me that with a new hardware it's impossible to install debian with kernel 3.16. Also the newest kenerl can manage better the cpu and you will have less consumes

95% of the time, you only need the newer kernel for the network adapter to *install* OMV. That is easily solved with a temporary and cheap PCI or USB network adapter -or- debootstrapping from a bootable distro with a new kernel -or- install on another machine and move the drive. Once it is installed, you can install the backports 4.6 kernel which solves most issues. The 4.7 kernel is in sid so it won't be long before it is in jessie-backports. So, for the small percentage of people with bleeding edge hardware, it isn't worth the time to create something that isn't thoroughly tested like the Debian kernels are.

• 95% of the time, you only need the newer kernel for the network adapter to *install* OMV. That is easily solved with a temporary and cheap PCI or USB network adapter -or- debootstrapping from a bootable distro with a new kernel -or- install on another machine and move the drive. Once it is installed, you can install the backports 4.6 kernel which solves most issues. The 4.7 kernel is in sid so it won't be long before it is in jessie-backports. So, for the small percentage of people with bleeding edge hardware, it isn't worth the time to create something that isn't thoroughly tested like the Debian kernels are.

Well.. I won't call any new nas with a skylake/kaby lake CPU, and then any ZEN cpu, a small percentage, also because it will be most of the help topic in the forum. If you're not sure about 4.7 kernel, use 4.5 that is old enopugh and works fine with skylake.
    I think that the best thing is to make a build to let people install OMV easily, the if they want they will change the kernel to a newer/older one, but at least OMV will remain easy to install without the need to buy a USB network adapter

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well.. I won't call any new nas with a skylake/kaby lake CPU, and then any ZEN cpu, a small percentage

I think I do enough support on this forum to know that people using those CPUs (kaby lake isn't even out) is a low percentage. I don't have one but I bet the 3.16 kernel boots on skylake just like the 3.2 kernel booted on Haswell. It is just the onboard network adapter that doesn't work. For maximum efficiency, you need the latest kernels but you don't need them to install.

I just don't understand why me spending hours and hours more of my time creating media with a newer kernel (that will have to be updated) is a better idea than you spending $10 on a usb network adapter? Am I or Volker or other mods/plugin devs not doing enough for the community already?

• Stop arguing guys.
    I understand that some advanced users that use latest tech may not have the latest kernel to support.
    Therefore, they asking for them, but from the dev's perspective, they don't have time to compile all the latest kernel for users.
    As a user, like myself, try to compile my own kernel is a solution; that way we don't bother the devs too much.
    So, they can have time to do other stuffs.

As far as I know, I compiled k4.7.2 for OMV2, and sharing with you gusy in this forum.
    You guys can use that.
    Regarding OMV3 latest kernel, be patient, and wait until somebody have time to compile and upload.

In conclusion, we should appreciate and be grateful that OMV is an open-source and keep it like that in the future too.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are correct. I actually put it in the omv-extras testing repo myself on august 1st. That is why it is a good reason to look at bintray rather than rely on my memory :D (especially for a plugin that I don't work on or use).

• You are correct. I actually put it in the omv-extras testing repo myself on august 1st. That is why it is a good reason to look at bintray rather than rely on my memory :D (especially for a plugin that I don't work on or use).

Great! Thanks! Since it sounds to me like OMV3 is a very stable beta, I have been considering upgrading my system to it, but I don't want to jump in to it without first knowing what I am getting myself in to, and since I now use the Let's Encrypt plugin, I want to make sure it's available.

I was not aware of the bintray link. In the future, I will look at it if I have any questions about what is in the repo.

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv 3.x is stable. The upgrade process needs some work. A fresh install is very stable.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!