Boot from S3 state failing

• Offizieller Beitrag

Depending on the "get back" condition pm-utils passes the first positional argument with value "thaw" (hibernate) and "resume" (suspend) to scripts located in this folder /etc/pm/sleep.d

Examples can be found here

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pm-utils

As usual don't forget the executable bit.

This is an example to attend the issue with the official realtek driver

• Do the lines need to be change like this?
    Where do you get the modprobe r8168 from?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• e1000e is my module.

Code
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 15a1
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 85c4
            Kernel driver in use: e1000e

Update: I put that script in the /etc/pm/sleep.d, but I still got the eth0 hanging upon cron job shutdown.
    By the way, I don't see init is a valid parameter of systemctl.
    https://www.freedesktop.org/so…ystemd/man/systemctl.html

I got unknow operation when I tried these parameters:

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

8 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• Good news,
    It finally sleep and wake up as the cron job scheduled after several trial and errors and help from you guys.

Here are the steps for the solutions:

1. Use this script:

2. sudo ethtool -K eth0 gso off gro off tso off

3. Disable C-State in the BIOS.

4. Restart the system.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• Just wanted to report back about my findings with my server. After changing the cronjobs to hibernate instead of suspend, disabling the flash memory plugin and re-enabling swap I stopped having the random freezes that I was getting. Seems to me then that the problem might be related to the lack of swap. I have some ram sticks laying around. I'll ramp up the server ram to 4 GB and return to the system to the old configuration (swap off, flash memory plugin and suspend) to see the problem comes back.

On a side note, hibernating the server instead of suspending translates in a few bucks less in the electricity bill. I think I'll stick to hibernation instead of suspension.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• If you use hibernation like me, you don't have to disable the flash memory plugin, just enabled the swap, and leave the other feature on.

By the way, did you use any additional steps like me?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• If you use hibernation like me, you don't have to disable the flash memory plugin, just enabled the swap, and leave the other feature on.

I thought that would be a solution, but that defeats the purpose of the flash memory plugin, isn't it?

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

• Kinda of.
    If your system runs out of RAM, then it would activate the swap or activate when it's hibernating.
    The more RAM you have, the less swapping required.
    I"m using 32GB DDR3, so I'm not concerning much.

The flash memory have two features, the r/w system, and the swap.
    I think the first feature for R/W is more important than the swapping.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• Well, that explains a lot. I am running on 2 GB. Going to 4 will perhaps help with the issue.

Custom mini-ITX build

• RAM is cheap now a day except DDR4.
    You can upgrade to 8GB or 16GB if your system runs multiple tasks.

The only way I think that we can prolong the life of the SSD for a very long time with the plugin is to use a dedicated hard drive for the swap if we choose to use suspend-to-disk state. Or use a different mode.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• Offizieller Beitrag

If your system never swaps, then enabling it won't hurt anything (kinda obvious I know). The flashmemory plugin really protects you from the data logging that happens. I do recommend more memory though.

You can also create a swap file and put it on a data drive.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The flashmemory plugin really protects you from the data logging that happens.

This....

That's what I was missing. In that case, I'll go forward with the ram upgrade. I am stuck with DDR2 (the system is old but fully functional), but managed to get a good deal for 4 GB. Once the sticks arrieve I'll roll back to the old configuration (with swap and flash memory plugin) and see what happens.

Custom mini-ITX build

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are really worried about the swap file, you could plug in a cheap usb stick and put a swap file on it. The memory should really help too.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• The swap file is actually not a problem, but it seems that with only 2 GB of ram and no swap the system freezes from time to time after waking up from suspension. The problem does not happen if I re-enable the swap and send the server to hibernate instead. If increasing the ram solves the issue, then I would assume that 2 GB were not enough to suspend the system and in some cases that led to a system freeze. I really don't care if the swap is on or not, as you said, if there is enough ram the swap will basically sit there and should do no harm.

Custom mini-ITX build

• @ryecoaaronnullThe data logging that you referring to is the first feature, right?
    UUID=dbe4c621-3b9e-4d2e-9af3-003837d19629 / ext4 noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

First feature?

Just to explain a bit more about this... The flashmemory plugin mounts the heavy write directories (like data logging) as tmpfs (ram drive/writes to memory). The problem with this is that if you fill tmpfs (usually defaults to half of system memory), it wants to write to swap. While it might be difficult to fill 2 gb memory on a fileserver, it isn't difficult to fill 1gb of file space especially if you have lots of logs. If it can't write to swap, it might lock up or reboot.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!