System board replace!

• I know this has most likely been covered before but Think its worth asking. I need to replace my underpowered core2 duo MB with something more capable (running Plex). I would like to know if the raid 5 array will transfer to the replacement MB? (I am using 4 4TB HDD's.) Will the array rebuild when booted as i cannot lose any of the stored data? I should backup data before doing this swap.

• You should try to always have a backup, unless you don't care about the data. You should be able to move the system drive and the RAID 5 to the new motherboard and boot it up. You only have to be careful if you are doing a new install on the system drive, instead of moving the old one. In that case make sure you leave the drives unplugged until the install is done. Have only the system drive plugged in. After install shut down the machine and plug the raid drives into the sata ports and boot up. You should see the raid in the filesystems section. Mount it and you are good.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is a good idea to have all the data drives on the same controller.

That isn't necessary. Depending on the controllers and drives, you might get better performance if they are on more than one controller. I wouldn't spread across usb and sata though. I have had arrays across three controllers before.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is exactly what I said. I just didn't want people to worry and struggle to get all the drives on one controller. I've never had a negative experience from it and I have put OMV on a lot of different hardware.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Is there any issue with using the same boot drive if you're changing your motherboard from an Intel to AMD based system? I have an i3 based system right now, but I am looking at AMD boards now.

I'm moving to a new chassis with 20 SAS/SATA disk slots instead of the 12 SATA model I have now. I'm trying to decide whether to get a new system board and build a new server, or put a new motherboard in the new case, and move my boot and data disks to the new case. The board I have now doesn't have the slots needed for the extra controller I need for the additional drive support.

• I have taken my OMV system drive from its Intel box and booted it on an AMD box. If the NICs are different you will have to adjust for that.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!