When will OMV3 be ready

• I'm not missing anything right now.
    Just want to know.

I notice that kernel 4.5.1 (14%) is using more RAM than 3.16 (3%).
    And my auto shutdown cron jobs are working last night either.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Anyone using OMV 3 should definitely not upgrade to the new version 3.0.15. Stay on 3.0.13.

New installation and plugins forcing me to a newer version so will have to upgrade to 3.0.15 anyway.
    Too bad that everything stops working after the upgrade :(

I also need OMV 3 as of my hardware, no alternative there...

HW: Supermicro X11SSH-TF (2x10Gbit) - Xeon E3-1235LV5 - 32GB ECC - 5x3TB WD Green (Raid-Z2) - 2x240GB SSD for OS
    OS: Debian Jessie 8.4 - OMV 3.0.13 - Kernel 4.5.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 - OMVExtrasORG 3.0.12 - OMV-ZFS 3.0.1 - OMV-Netatalk - Crashplan

• Offizieller Beitrag

Upgrading is not forced. If you think you have to run OMV 3, you can manually install 3.0.13 and plugins until they are done being ported.

There is an alternative to running OMV 3. Install one of the 4.x kernels that you can find on this forum for OMV 2.x.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Found out that it is the clamav plugin that forces the upgrade:

Code
    Unpacking clamdscan (0.99+dfsg-0+deb8u2) ...
    Preparing to unpack .../openmediavault_3.0.15_all.deb ...
    Unpacking openmediavault (3.0.15) over (3.0.13) ...

>>> *************** Error ***************
    communication failure
    <<< *************************************

Rollback ;) Happy with the new VM where I first try things out with a lot of snapshots.

HW: Supermicro X11SSH-TF (2x10Gbit) - Xeon E3-1235LV5 - 32GB ECC - 5x3TB WD Green (Raid-Z2) - 2x240GB SSD for OS
    OS: Debian Jessie 8.4 - OMV 3.0.13 - Kernel 4.5.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 - OMVExtrasORG 3.0.12 - OMV-ZFS 3.0.1 - OMV-Netatalk - Crashplan

• Offizieller Beitrag

It would be nice if github (as defacto standard) is used instead of sf.net for developing. At the moment there is to big burden to get something upstream - devs are lazy.

We use github for all of the omv-extras plugins and I have a mirror of the omv code on github. But, Volker uses svn because that is what he prefers. svn is still a common standard and the tools are better in a lot of cases.

What devs are lazy? Or are you just speaking in general? Volker is the only dev who works on core OMV. He does have bugtracker set up for requesting features.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• What devs are lazy?

If I had an patch, for example, the barrier is much higher at sourceforge to get something done. Honestly I wouldn't even browse the code because sf is quit useless for this task nor would I follow the development because SF is horribly outdated in comparison to the other oss hosters.

I'm not sure that it is the best to use outdated platform for development which "nobody" uses these days - but of course if Volker didn't want to change to git there is no real perspective to change this. Git is the gold standard - if you like it or not and the world keeps turning.

• In my work team we switchted from SVN to Git, too. It's much more reliable. It's nearly impossible to get git hung up. Plus, it adds the possibility of pull requests. Which makes it possible for foreigners like me to send in patches. Plus it adds branching.

I know its hard to get used to it as SVN user. But it's really worth the effort.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I prefer git myself. Like I said, the plugins are on github. At work, I am an SVN admin for about 5000 developers. It is still used and not outdated.

If you want to follow OMV development on github, follow it here. I have git clone the svn repo and push it to github hourly. Then you could submit features/code to bugtracker. That is the best I can do until/if OMV code is moved to github.

• Maybe just bring it up to @votdev's attention.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Git vs. SVN is kinda off topic for this thread.

Not really since having the source code in svn is keeping potential contributors from contributing to OMV3 (which may or may not speed up OMV 3 being stable). And we have closed most OMV3 threads so this is kind of a catchall (kernel, php version, plugins, git/svn, etc).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I disagree. Contributor does not equal developer. I should have said it isn't a protocol issue as much as hosting issue. Plenty of people can contribute who do not know svn/git/diff/patch/etc but know github. Creating and submitting a diff/patch on bugtracker is a deterrent for some. Forking a repo and submitting a pull request is very easy on github with good public visibility for review/comments and excellent tracking. If there was an svnhub, it would be just as easy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Support isn't dropped. It is just called long term support now. This doesn't change anything with OMV 3. It still takes time and we are working on it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!