0.4.38 to 2.x and config.xml

• So I have been successfully running (touch wood) 0.4.38 for a while.
    I would like to add some plugins but as fedaykin is effectively end-of-life and development has stopped,
    I like to upgrade to latest stable 2.x.

Looks like there's no easy upgrade path from 0.4.38 to 2.x.

If I did a clean install of 2.x on a new drive, can I take a copy of the config.xml from 0.4.38 and overwrite the one in 2.x ?

HP Microserver N40L; OMV 6.1.1-1 (Shaitan)

• No it doesn't work that way. You can use it as reference to reconfigure all services and folders.

Thx for the quick reply.
    Is there a "default" config.xml from 2.x I can take a look at to compare it with the one I have and see what's changed ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a sample initial file shipped in the package. Can't remember the location but you can look at the package files with dpkg-query -l openmediavault

also so is not what it has changed or not. Is has to do with the fact that just placing the file does not write the service configuration files. extend those to plugins things get worse. Errors pop out in the interface failed to get xpath etc etc

• I looked at both (old & new) config.xml. Too much to cut-n-paste into new.

Instead, I just started again:
    - backed up old MySQL db (using mysql -u kodi -p --all-databases > old_dump.sql);
    - shutdown and removed all my data drives;
    - clean OMV install (except for frustrating GRUB install bug trying install to /dev/sda instead of /dev/sdb :cursing: );
    - applied all the updates via the update manager;
    - Installed Extras (using wget);
    - Installed Netatalk;
    - Installed Transmission;
    - Shutdown and inserted all my HDD's back and rebooted;
    - Added all the NFS, AFP and SMB shares
    - As there's no stable MySQL plugin, I manually installed MySQL server (as per Kodi instructions)
    - imported my Kodi db (using mysql -u kodi -p < old_dump.sql)
    - disabled Quota check causing 10 minute hang at boot (using update-rc.d quota disable)

Fired up one of the Kodi boxes, and can access the music and videos on OMV just like before. :thumbup:
    All is good.

Took all afternoon but all done now.
    The GRUB bug was really really frustrating -cost me 30 minutes+ to figure out and should really be fixed in 3.0 :cursing::thumbdown:
    Thx.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von macnb ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

The GRUB bug was really really frustrating -cost me 30 minutes+ to figure out and should really be fixed in 3.0 :cursing::thumbdown:

It is. You can also unplug the usb drive with omv install files during the grub process.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It is. You can also unplug the usb drive with omv install files during the grub process.

Good to know it's fixed for future.

I eventually found out that I needed to remove the installer USB at the right time. Once I pulled it too soon (just before grub install started) and then there was another error from which I could not recover except to restart the whole install process (again).

For current version, there should be a sticky in the Install forum sections that warns people that "install to a USB HDD WILL fail with a GRUB Install error and it's normal. At this point of failure (and NOT before), remove the OMV Installer USB and select <Go Back> option. Then, select Install GRUB from the list and continue with the rest of the steps".

If that was a sticky, I would have read that and probably would not have wasted time retrying.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For current version, there should be a sticky in the Install forum sections that warns people that "install to a USB HDD WILL fail with a GRUB Install error and it's normal. At this point of failure (and NOT before), remove the OMV Installer USB and select <Go Back> option. Then, select Install GRUB from the list and continue with the rest of the steps".

If that was a sticky, I would have read that and probably would not have wasted time retrying.

It doesn't happen on all systems. Just depends on how the systems assigns the drives on usb ports.

You create the post and I will sticky it :)

I wish all people read the sticky posts... :D

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!