OMV 2 Kernel 4.x Image

• Hi,

for all of you that want to have their a 4.x kernel running OMV 2 you can download them here.

Current 4.6 (Do not Upgrade to 4.6, if you need VirtualBOX - Currently there is an issue with the DKMS. If you want still to run it, manually apply this patch for the kernel driver)
    Current 4.5
    Current 4.4

Installation with: dpkg -i linux-*.deb

You should install headers & image. On top I suggest before moving from kernel 3.X to 4.X to install the btrfs tools.
    You can load them here, and install via dpkg -i <PAKAGENAME>

This images include the e1000 modules and the USB modules to boot from a USB Stick or disk.

For all baytrail users, they are stuggeling with system crashes on kernels > 3.10 (compare this link) please limit the max c_states = 1 in the Bios or via Grub, to get a stable NAS again.

Have fun.

----------------------

visit my blog here!
    OMV v2.2.x (kernel 4.5.X) | ASRock Q1900M | 32GB RAM | Sandisk SSD | Marvell PCIe SATA|Controler (88SE9230) | 4x3TB RAID5

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Silverchair_mfcu ()

• As a quick sidenote this kernels have as well the support to boot from USB 2 & 3.
    So therefore qou will not rcive the message:

Code
    Dropping to Shell!
    modprobe: module ehci-orion not found in modules.dep

----------------------

visit my blog here!
    OMV v2.2.x (kernel 4.5.X) | ASRock Q1900M | 32GB RAM | Sandisk SSD | Marvell PCIe SATA|Controler (88SE9230) | 4x3TB RAID5

• Your kernel seems to work: When will OMV3 be ready :thumbup:

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi,

the difference --> j1900 is, that I tested this with my j1900.

Since Kernel 3.10 the barebone systems has an issue in the intel c-State handling. Basically with changing the grub bot parameter this kernel work as well for barebones.
    For all others, you do not need to care.

Besides that I saw on my system running some VM more stability after upgrading to 4.x.
    Nevertheless the Powerconsumption went up since kernel 4.x on my j1900.

I use this kernels 4.4.4 now in Production environments without any issues.

----------------------

visit my blog here!

• I was using 4.5.1 on OMV 2.2.3 the other day, and I noticed the ram consumption is went up.
    My auto shutdown cron job wouldn't executed either.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Also you can compile your own kernel (see Kernel 4.x wanted, running OMV 1.19)
    I'm using kernel 4.5.2 on omv 2.2.3. It seems a little faster. Also I enabled dvb support (also i2c mux) wich kernel 3.16 doesn't have.
    Just give a try making your own.... :thumbup:

My business server: OMV 4.1.22 | intel J2900 + 4GB DDR3 | 64GB SSD OS Disk | 2x1TB WD raid data disks
    Home Server: OMV 4.1.22 (4.19bpo
    ) | MSI B150M PRO VDH | i5-6600T 35W | 16GG RAM DDR4 2133 | 60GB SSD OS disk | 120GG SSD Games (Minecraft+Ark)| 1x4TB+2x2TB WD NAS RED HDDs
    ---------------- File server, FTP, Printing server, Plex, Logitech Media Server, VDR, Minecraft Server, Ark Survival Server, jDownloader
    Home automation server: OMV 4.1.22 (kernel 4.19 bpo) | Intel J4205 | 128GB SSD OS | 250GB HDD DATA | USB-RS485 | mbusd MODBUS TCP<->RTU GATEWAY | HMI SCADA myscadaHome

• Hi,

Is there any possibility to have an OMV 2.2 ISO Image with Kernel 4.4 prebuilt ? Because the current ISO (3.16 Kernel) does not detect my NIC Card and probably other functionalities as well because my NAS is Skylake based and is Headless.

Can use OMV 3.0 but don't want to take my only backup on a Beta :)

• Hi,

Is there any possibility to have an OMV 2.2 ISO Image with Kernel 4.4 prebuilt ? Because the current ISO (3.16 Kernel) does not detect my NIC Card and probably other functionalities as well because my NAS is Skylake based and is Headless.

Can use OMV 3.0 but don't want to take my only backup on a Beta :)

Maybe it's a possibility for you to do this: When will OMV3 be ready

As you can read in that thread, this works!

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Is it possible to use a kernel from debian jessie (backports) on a debian wheezy system?

If not, where are the differences between a kernel for wheezy and a kernel for jessie?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Maybe it's a possibility for you to do this: When will OMV3 be ready

As you can read in that thread, this works!

Greetings Hoppel

I understand, but i believe that to be a workaround. Ideally, there should be a new release which is done more like a stop-gap before OMV 3 is release with OMV 2 but with a newer kernel ( Just supporting new hardware ). The Kernel provided in the ISO is extremely "OLD" w.r.t. computer evolution. Personally i believe it requires a better release management. OMV 2 iso should be updated every few months with at least new packages ( apt-get dist-upgrade ). Why release an ISO with known extremely old packages ?

Is there any way we can update the ISO ? I mean creating an ISO from scratch ?

Still, i believe the developers are doing a fabulous job with this OS. It is one of the best out there :)

• Is it possible for you to post the changelog for those kernels?
    I've tried several kernels, but I still get this error upon auto shutdown:
     e1000e Reset adapter unexpectedly / Detected Hardware Unit Hang

Thanks.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• Did you upgraded from kernel 3.16. Maybe this has 2 reasones, wither the C1E states are messing up or this is an firmware issue. I will check tomorrow on my build system.

In the meantime you could check the C1E states in the Bios.

----------------------

visit my blog here!

• I been having this issue prior new kernel installation.
    I"m going to try this new kernel, and make some changes tonight, see if it would help.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• Hi,

I added the e1000 modules into the kernel, not using this as external module. You can download this version here.
    If you are intresseted in the compilation log, you can check this here.

----------------------

visit my blog here!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!