Simple NAS setup & speed issues

• First, I'm novice computer guy, and a network noob. Be gentle. Looking for some advice or to be pointed to a good thread or article to help me learn.

I installed OMV on an RPi 2. It's hooked directly via Cat 5e to my router with 3 drives hooked up to it via USB. One is an SSD and the other two are HDDs.

I got everything running, I have a laptop running windows and another RPi2 that has MATE installed on it that I have hooked up to the TV. It will be an emulator, basic computer for emailing/facebook, stream movies and stream music through USB Bluetooth to my home sound system.

I got the basics configured of the server, my Windows laptop recognizes the drives, I can access my files, etc. I have shared folders set up in OMV through the SMB protocol. My problem is file transfer speeds.

I'm getting about 1mb/sec. I guess I would expect that when transferring from my drives to my laptop via Wifi, but I have a .11c Wifi adapter, so I would have thought I could get faster speeds.

Also, what's really aggrevating is that I can only transfer between drives at 1mb/sec. So, transferring between a drive in USB1 of the Pi to another drive in USB2 of the Pi, not going through the laptop or anything, I have super slow speeds.

Don't forget, I'm a network noob, so this might be simple for you guys, but please help direct me to something that I can configure my server better.

Once I get everything configured, the heaviest usage from the NAS will be streaming 1080p movies from the server to another RPi2 to my TV.

• 68 views and no comments.

Thanks so much for all your help. After hours and hours configuring things, I think I've gotten it good enough for what I need.

Though, I have learned that "open source" means to figure it out yourself, not a community of people helping people.

• 68 views and no comments.

Thanks so much for all your help. After hours and hours configuring things, I think I've gotten it good enough for what I need.

Though, I have learned that "open source" means to figure it out yourself, not a community of people helping people.

I certainly doubt that you will get any help if you come complaining and demanding for help. Open source does not mean "figure it out for yourself"; it means people with lives, families and jobs who invest their free time to develop software tools and to help other users. Nobody in this forum is 24/7 available, and if nobody have answered yet is because a)what you are asking was already discussed/solved or b)nobody had the time to answer. If you want support ASAP go get a paid NAS platform/software with 24/7 hotline support.

A quick search in the forum will yield quite a lot of information on the issue you are experimenting. I will assume that you are connecting the 3 drives directly to the Raspi ports (no usb hub). The speeds you are seeing are normal for your setup, don't expect miracles. If I am not wrong, the Ethernet controller of the Raspi shares the same bus as the USB 2 controller. You can see it in the image below:

That means, you are simply saturating your USB bus: you have 3 HDDs and the Ethernet running thru it. Since one of those drives is a SSD, my guess is that you have OMV installed there. If that is the case, it will simply make the things worse. Get a good class 10 SD card and install OMV there. The SD card controller does not use the same bus as the USB and is way faster, that way you can take some load from the USB bus. Using an SSD connected via USB 2.0 in a Raspi is basically a waste of money. The situation will get even worse when you move files from one HDD to another one, both connected to the Raspi. Think about it, you have OS + Ethernet + HDDs all going thru the USB controller, which has a theoretical maximum of 480 mbps. I will also assume that you are using 2.5'' drives which suck power directly from the Pi. Be sure to get an adapter with enough juice.

If you want to read more about how the USB controller of the Raspi works, take a look here.

Finally, nobody in this forum is getting paid or has the obligation to help the others. Keep that in mind.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• Install webmin and try using the new filemin (file manager) to transfer between drives on your pi. Report back...

http://www.webmin.com/deb.html

For larger files it looks like webmin may be hungup but it is like that until the transfer is complete. So be patiend.
    I recommend copy/paste vs. cut/paste, so original file is not corrupted and it still available in case of failed transfer.
    Delete original file post transfer.

• I installed OMV on an RPi 2. It's hooked directly via Cat 5e to my router with 3 drives hooked up to it via USB. One is an SSD and the other two are HDDs.

As Eryan pointed out: The transfer speeds are shared between ALL USB Ports and your Network Port, thus resulting in inferior speeds, way lower than the RPi is even capable of - and the RPi is already the device with the slowest Network Speed these days.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Eryan gave a very good explanation. I did not read everything. Many times people have issues with speed when they connect to their OMV via a laptop wirelessly. The transfers can many times go through the connected device and not stay local to the OMV. This can effect speed a lot. I recommended webmin because transfers using filemin will stay local to the device and not run through network connected devices for a simple copy/paste, or what have you.

• If you read my post you got the tl;dr version of Eryans post. Explains why he is getting such low speeds, and even with webmin they wouldn't go up much.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• JustinG

I have too done some experience with Raspberry Pi and also with RPi 2
    together with OMV.
    My discovery is that USB2 and the 100 Mbit Ethernet interface both
    is the course of your and my speed issue? It simply doesn’t work
    because of the weak HW.
    Recently I bought a BananaPI board with a SATA interface and Gigabit
    RJ45 interface. Together with a 2 TB 2 1/2" HD I have a max. 7W
    NAS running OMV.
    It's working almost as perfect as the Pro NAS I have bought in my
    Computer shop around the corner.

Unfortunately BananaPi+HD+PWR-suply is the same price as a pro
    NAS, but I can tell my wife that I build it my self, and she think
    it was the cheapest solution ;-|
    Also I'm very close working together with my OMV NAS :)

I bought the BananaPI at the dx.com portal. At the moment you find
    BananaPI at a price of $50 including an Acrylic box. Remember also
    to order SATA and PWR cables for the HD (round $4)

You surely find a lot of other nice things to use you’re left over
    RPi 2 for.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!