OMV as a long-term NAS solution

• Hello guys,

I've been thinking lately about this and I would like to have your opinion.

When I started in the "NAS" world, I wanted to learn and understand, different ways of storing my data and give services to my mediacenter to enjoy my movies and shows on the living room with my wife.
    Little by little, my NAS was useful & uselful and I started to delete data locally on devices at home (tablet, smartphone, computers...) to centralize everything. I created a RAID and rsync backups for important things.
    Now, even my wife is working 8hours/day directly with OMV from Work using Samba on VPN to edit & manage her files.
    Our NAS became a professional tool. It is an essential element which needs to ensure service 24/24
    It is kind of funny, in one or two years, I passed from raspberry pi to download some torrents to OMV on HP Proliant G8 with OMV to store personal & professional data & as a mediaserver for family & friends in different countries...

So one begins to think that he needs a system for a long-term use, stable and with support.

I can't get out of my head that OMV is a system based on the goodwill of a few developers....what will happen when this 2 o 3 "pillars" are leaving the community? or just when the integrator of plexmediaserver is leaving for exemple, or etc...?

I have the (maybe wrong) impression that a system like "synology" or "windows" is going to be more solid versus time....

Or maybe this are stupid thoughs, I don't know guys, just wanted to share with you...

Cheers!

• I have two Synology's, one series 09, sticked with DSM 4, never got DSM 5, but still doing its job very well as internal backup.
    The second one, series 12 became too small. If I'd go for a Synology with the performance of an Hp Gen8 Mikroserver with OMV and 4 bays, the price would be three times as high.

So in the unlikely event that everybody at OMV stops his (her) work, I would be happy with the latest available version, getting further Debian updates for a long time, just lacking newer features. And if I'd be missing some of the newer features, there would be always an alternative.
    But that's theoretical, actual for me no need to have heavy thoughts about this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No one can give you a a guarantee about OMV. Synology could go out of business too. Like erik says, the underlying OS will keep getting updates even if OMV doesn't. OMV 3.x will use Plex directly from Plex without an integrator.

So, if everyone stops supporting OMV all at the same time (won't happen), you would have months to move to something else assuming someone else doesn't pick up the source code. I will tell you that I use OMV extensively myself and have no plans of going anywhere :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If all development stopped you could still enjoy OMV for several years. You would have plenty of time to find another solution. And many people are developing good enough skills to run a server without OMV. OMV is a beautiful thing. Most people involved in development are not that old. Hopefully it will be around for at least another decade. I came from the WHS 2011 community. I can't believe how Microsoft, with all their resources, destroyed the WHS community. That said, I think everyone in development with OMV is awesome. So much accomplished with very little resources and donated time. I think the top mods deserve a lot of credit for helping to grow the community too. The other day I saw over 600 users on the forum. In the old days I remember many times when we had only 15, or so, people on the forum.

• Hey guys,

Thanks for your toughts!

Pretty nice to read your positive opinions, as allways. So I agreee, every system, no matter what, can be stopped without anticipating it... You will never have 100% the assurance for your system support. But, some are more probable than others. I guess it's a matter of number of users? money? or mostly beneficts of the company?

what is encouraging is to see the growth of this comunity, as @tekkb said, with not much time....

I think what scares me, is to see the huge depency that I have on my OMV now! before, it was just a funy tool for home, now it's an essencial. And I just want to be sure that is a good investment long-term. But I guess, as every other things in life, there is no guarantee! ah ah ah!

@eric said it too, synology is not really scalable over the years, but with a server + omv, you can change components, etc... to avoid be stuck in a certain version or not being able to use some powerful plugins....

Call me crazy, but I tryed DSM on a VM and I didn't like it! maybe I am used to OMV..and know what happens on CLI when I use something on GUI...the only thing that I really like is DS-AUDIO & DS-VIDEO station with their mobile&tablet apps. The problem with plex is that you need plexpass to have a complete user experience and it's kind of expensive in my opinion.

Concerning the use of debian if OMV dies...that's not the same. The management with GUI & plugins packaged in a user-friendly way is why OMV can be so nice as other popular platforms... if you take that off, then it's not interesting for me...

Anyway, I've been having this thoughts for some time now and appreciate yours!

Cheers

• The plex pass used to be a lot less. They more than doubled the priced just over 1 year go.

I am using OMV for business use, not just home. I'm pretty sure Aaron is using it to a much bigger extent than me.

I spent a lot of money for WHS 2011 and a few plugins. It was a very disappointing experience.
    OMV has never disappointed me and just continues to improve.

• The plex pass used to be a lot less. They more than doubled the priced just over 1 year go.

I am using OMV for business use, not just home. I'm pretty sure Aaron is using it to a much bigger extent than me.

I spent a lot of money for WHS 2011 and a few plugins. It was a very disappointing experience.
    OMV has never disappointed me and just continues to improve.

Would you pay the price today?
    I love plex, and the database for metadata is the best I've seen.

There is still an issue with subtitles. You can't move it (delay or ahead) when they are not 100% ok. Or do you?

• I would but I'm not poor. For students I think the lifetime price is high. I would not pay for the yearly. Over time it is not worth it. I don't mind supporting good developers either. My money spent in linux community has been well spent.

• I love OMV, and this forum.
    It's nice, and friendly interface, and it's using Debian.
    I hope if the users can't contribute to donation, then perhaps they can contribute to coding or other projects.
    Keep up the good works, guys.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!