plex iso playback how?

• Offizieller Beitrag

kodi (xmbc) plays .ISO files just fine over samba or nfs.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

but i cant run (xmbc) Kodi on my phone!

You never mentioned that you were targetting your phone for playback. What kind of phone?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• okay sry. I startet on a readynas playing videos with boxeebox worked fine but then I found out that I can stream to chromecast II with my iphone 6S with plex. but i cant play the files in iso.!

I dont wanna go back to my boxeebox its very slow and takes 10min starting up. can I in any way play my iso files on my chromecast with my phone?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't have a chromecast so no clue there. You can play ISOs on your iphone over samba with nPlayer and probably VLC too. There are ways to install Kodi (without jailbreaking) on your iPhone by the way...

• you dont need an alternative. Just repack the iso to a format, which is supported by plex.
    you can read iso files with makemkv and convert it to a supported format with it. And Makemkv is even a free tool.
    all these infos you can find in the plex forum and on the offical plex.tv side.

IIts funny that ppl always give the answer plex is not supporting iso and refer to kodi and xbmc
    instead of giving him a good solution to the actual problem.

And why do I know that? I work in IT support and I run a plex server at home for nearly 2 years now.

@ryecoaaron I think you helped me once when my HD broke down. it happend again but now I bought a SATA controller
    instead of usb port.

• Offizieller Beitrag

you dont need an alternative. Just repack the iso to a format, which is supported by plex.
    you can read iso files with makemkv and convert it to a supported format with it. And Makemkv is even a free tool.
    all these infos you can find in the plex forum and on the offical plex.tv side.

Some people don't want to change/repack the format. Handbrake can do it too.

IIts funny that ppl always give the answer plex is not supporting iso and refer to kodi and xbmc instead of giving him a good solution to the actual problem.

You solution isn't any better and doesn't fix his "problem" of playing back ISOs. I suggested a different client (probably because I don't like plex) and you suggested changing his file format. My solution is much faster.

ryecoaaron I think you helped me once when my HD broke down. it happend again but now I bought a SATA controller
    instead of usb port.

No offense but you are in IT Support and you posted completely unrelated question in a plex iso playback thread?

• realy unrelated? Where do you get this from?

Plex does not support iso, so hands the best way is to repack the files.
    Which does not take much time. And yes Handbrake is another great tool for it.
    And many others.

Secondly changing all the clients and installing a new server for kodi and xbmc or installing apps on a NAS and reconfigure everything
    is taking as much time as repacking the files, I think.

But hey who am I. At least I dont say something like I dont like this and that.
    My 2 cents have not been meant as thread or insult, thats why I wrote its funny
    that kodi and xbmc is always the first answer. I know of the fight between xbmc
    and plex, but again, I let that aside.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Mentioning your hard drive breaking is the part that was unrelated...

I know plex doesn't support ISOs. repacking 100s of ISOs does take time. If someone had three of them, they probably wouldn't ask the question.

Most people with a NAS already have samba enabled. Adding one app to your phone to play from samba is hardly time consuming. Plex and samba can read the same files and you can use both. So, I was just adding options not telling him to stop using Plex.

I recommend kodi because I have had all of my media on my server (for 8+ years) with no cable or satellite for almost five years. I have tried every settopbox, streaming server, server, etc that I can find to send get media from my server to the client (phone, tv, ipad, laptop, etc). In my opinion, kodi is the best reading from samba or nfs. I will keep recommending this solution because it does work so well. I wrote the plex plugin and tried for a long time but just had too many issues.

• I would mount the ISO and just rip the movie. I would do it just for the sake of way smaller file size. I never watch the extras or all the other crap on them. The client has nothing to do with this. But to each his own....

I usually use Magic ISO or Daemon Tools.

• with all you wrote now you are going off the thread as well.

I did not say ANYTHING about Kodi and XBMC and I also didnt
    say its a bad recommendation.

Yes you didnt say directly he should go away from plex. But by mentioning
    another product is something equal to saying, hey dont use plex rather use this.
    Which in the end, is not related to his question as well.

And by the way, how come you know he has 100 movies? And can you let him
    decide which way he wants to go? Again you getting at the moment everything
    in the wrong throat, I think.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why would you mount the ISO? makemkv and Handbrake can rip directly from the ISO. I keep quite a few ISOs of kids cartoons because it takes forever to rip each of the 20 or 30 shows on a dvd. Space is cheap and 4GB vs 1GB isn't much a big deal.

• I would mount the ISO and just rip the movie. I would do it just for the sake of way smaller file size. I never watch the extras or all the other crap on them. The client has nothing to do with this. But to each his own....

I usually use Magic ISO or Daemon Tools.

Which is what I said with using MakeMKV or Handbrake (i Just learned that). Just there you dont have to mount the iso first.

• 182 bluray's ---> move from OMV to pc. convert to plex compatible media. ---> move to OMV...... Not gonna happen.

how can I install kodi (xmbc) on iphone without jailbreak? ( Can I Kodi to Chromecast? )

Is my boxeebox still the best solution?

Is plex an open source? i know a phython guy :D

Emby no ISO ?

• goldberg: I know what you mean. I ripped over 400 movies (still not finished) and each one costs me 20-50 mins (dvd around 20 Bluerays around 40-50mins)
    If you dont want todo that then you have to stick with kodi and xbmc.

My collection has around 600 DVDs and nearly 100 Bluerays.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!