Canon MF Laser Printer not working in CUPS (UFRII LT)

• I have a UFRII LT printer that is not working at all. I have added the latest drivers from Canon (just updated in December) and followed this tutorial. I had a VERY hard time getting this printer to work in Ubuntu, but after an hour or two I was running smoothly and never had another problem.

In OMV, for some reason, I cannot get the printer to print. It is detected by the server, it adds easily in the CUPS plugin or the CUPS admin UI, and is using the correct driver from Canon. When I try to print a test page, it just says "Processing" and never goes anywhere. I've reinstalled about 10 times now, trying every possible option as well as some of the other drivers for similar models, but no dice.

Any suggestions? These printers are notorious online for having poor Linux compatibility, but I figured since it worked with Ubuntu, it would probably work with Debian. Exact model is MF4350, but that shouldn't make much of a difference. I'm using driver version 3.40.

• Offizieller Beitrag

but I figured since it worked with Ubuntu, it would probably work with Debian

Cups version in wheezy is far from jessie current cups version, and jessie is also far far from latest cups version. Something that works in Ubuntu doesn't necessarily works in OMV. What version of CUPS was ubuntu using?

I wouldn't get too much hope, the universe of printers is.....well a universe. Hard to find in this forum someone that has the same model as you.
    You can install debian jessie with desktop in a VM in a laptop if you want, and test the printer, if it works, then i guess you should wait for OMV 3.0

• Dang. I'll give that a try to see what happens. If it works, then I'll wait for it to come around. If it doesn't work, I may have to buy another printer. I had high hopes for being able to network using my new OMV machine. This is sad news, for sure.

Thanks for tip about trying Jessie.

• That's correct, it's several years old. It is listed on openprint.org as being 100% Linux compatible (which it is, or was, when it worked).

I just couldn't get it running after several hours of fiddling. It looked like a stupid dependency issue, but I ran apt-get install -f and cleared up most, if not all, of the missing dependencies. Other than that, I didn't know what else to do.

What's the purpose of that docker? Is it a Jessie container with GUI and whatnot, or is it something else? A more current version of CUPS than what OMV uses?

• Okay, that Docker image is a bust. I can't get it to start on OMV because it just keeps throwing errors. I installed Docker (which was not smooth to get working), got it going, then pulled in the container you linked. I set it up using default settings and tried to run it, but I get a slew of rotating errors. The most common ones are "cannot find network bridge", "invalid argument, cannot use -net and -h" and on they go.

• I had to sleep on this and come back to it before I completely understood what you were saying, but I figured it out on the second read. I uninstalled the plugin using the OMV GUI and then I went to CLI and removed CUPS. I then pulled the image again and created a container using default settings. It still gives a "network bridge not found" error.

• Going back to my original install error on OMV directly, I reinstalled the printing plugin (which worked fine) and added my special print drivers using CLI (which, much to my surprise, also worked fine). So this time I had high hopes, but even without any dependency issues, the printer just won't print anything. It is properly detected, I select the correct driver, and when I try to print a test page it doesn't do anything. I'm stumped.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!