device descriptor read/64, error -110. How-to copy OMV from usb3 drive > usb2 drive?

• At random times my selfbuild nas reboots and gets stuck at "device descriptor read/64, error -110". I've installed my nas on a kingston datatraveler r3.0 g2 16gb usbdrive. My motherboard is quite old and doesn't have dedicated usb 3 ports so I stuck it in a usb 2 port.

What I found while looking for a solution is:

Zitat

USB error -110 means power exceeded, the host could not provide enough electric power for the pendrive to operate. Because it has not enough power also the USB stick cannot provide the device descriptor to the host, as a result it cannot be identified and so on. Maybe your motherboard it's overloaded with devices that consume all the available power.

And

Zitat

he problem was a USB 3.0 Stick that needed more current than usual for a USB 2.0 device. This lead to the errors. I replaced the stick and in addition to that I installed the latest BIOS-Drivers. No more problems!

So to fix the problem I want to copy the OMV installation to a usb 2 drive. How can I do this? (including bootloader etc.)

The source drive is a USB 3 16gb and I have a spare USB 2 8gb drive available. I'm on windows but could boot a linux live cd. Please help :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you running the backports 3.16 kernel on your OMV install?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Install omv-extras (if you haven't) and install the backports 3.16 from the kernel tab. This might fix your usb3 problem.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Currently I can't boot into OMW. I'm unable to get past the "device descriptor read/64, error -110" error. That's why I thought about copying the usb3 disk to a usb2.0 disk.

Can I boot OMW in another computer, or would that change my configuration?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you sure the usb stick isn't failing? If you didn't have the flashmemory plugin installed, I would almost guarantee that is the problem.

• Are you sure the usb stick isn't failing? If you didn't have the flashmemory plugin installed, I would almost guarantee that is the problem.

I don't think so. If I plug it into my Windows laptop I can view the partitions and it just works normally. It also boots the GRUB bootloader, but after that I get the error message described earlier.

• On second though, you might be right. I can't copy the disk. I get an crc error (something with a bad sector). Is it possible to install OMV on another disk/usbdrive and use my old data that's on my 2x3TB harddrives?

• Yes, without worries. - (Re)Installation of OpenMediaVault

Thanks for the link. I've reinstalled OMV, mounted the drives and installed (and activated) the flashmemory plugin. On the flashmemory page it says:

I've tried this and couldn't run OMV properly after. The usb drive on which I installed it became read only for all users. Below is my fstab file. Could somebody have a look at it and tell me what to edit exactly? Also do I need to edit the file through nano or can I use manually edit it in a texteditor (notepad) and upload it through ssh?

• I think I've fixed it. This is now my fstab file:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!