[Solved] Can't expand RAID over 16TB

• Hi,

i've use OMV since 1-2 years to built my own NAS. I have recently bought a 19" storage case (IPC 4U 4320 L) and i have installed OMV 2.1.

I have created a RAID5 and started with 3 x 4To hard drive. I have moved some files and data on my new NAS. After that, i added more hard drive one by one.
    I have a problem after adding the sixth hard drive. I can't expand the filesystem because of an error and a limit of 16TB with filesystem created in 32bits.

here's the error message in the WebGUI

Code
    Erreur #6000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to grow the filesystem '/dev/md0': resize2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
    resize2fs: New size too large to be expressed in 32 bits
    ' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc:699
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->resize(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('resize', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('FileSystemMgmt', 'resize', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

Code
    $ uname -m
    x86_64
    $ uname -a
    Linux Nargothrond 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.68-1+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

In another thread, someone says that this problem/bug is resolved since OMV 1.8. I'm afraid there no solution for me.
    Is there any solution ? Do i have to backup my data and recreate the RAID5 in another way ?

Thank for your help and sorry about my bad english... :/

• Ok.

How can i do to create the filesystem in 64bits ?
    Can i do that with the WebGUI ? Do i hate to use the CLI ?

Can i remove the last hard drive i have added ? I only extend the array and can't expand the FS.

• Thank you for the support and to answer very fast.

I don't understand why this happen again. In another thread, it says that it's a bug solved since OMV 1.8.

I've installed my new server last week with the last OMV. I suppose that i have to create the array in CLI or i will be in the same situation as now, right ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't understand why this happen again. In another thread, it says that it's a bug solved since OMV 1.8.

I mean the problem was that the mkfs.ext4 script shipped by default in debian did not put the 64bit flag in drives or arrays smaller than 16TB.
    This was solved by forcing the flag no matter what size the drive was.
    If the flag wasn't added at fs creation you cannot modify it thus expand the fs.

So to be clear did you format your array last week with latest omv?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you try the command as root?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• no ... but you're right, i have to use the command as root.
    Here is the result :

• Code
    root@Nargothrond:~# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] 
    md0 : active raid5 sdg[5] sdc[0] sdf[4] sdb[3] sde[2] sdd[1]
          19534435840 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [6/6] [UUUUUU]

unused devices: <none>
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I don't remember now but I am pretty sure resize was the problem but maybe mkfs too. I would try the systemrescuecd route.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi everyone !!

i've just tried the systemrescueCD solution and it's work !!

I boot the NAS with systemrescueCD and launch a graphic session. Gparted resize succesfully the filesystem.

Will i have to do this way after each harddrive i will add ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!