AFP transfer sometimes very(!) slow

• Hey,

i use OMV since 2 months. At first i only used SMB. But then i switched to netatalk because i only have macs at home.
    Now my problem: if i transfer many files or only just one file - that doesn´t matter - it writes with about 100MB/s which is very good. But then - suddenly it stops to transfer. it stays for an undetermined time and then it transfers about 100 MB. Again it stops.

"about 5 hours" - it took more than 18 hours! It stays every 100-200 MB for 10 to 20 minutes.
    What could this be?

i have this problem with every mac at home. I even restartet OMV.

syslog >> http://pastebin.com/QFfwFqzK
    daemon >> http://pastebin.com/B9138Eiz
    messages >> http://pastebin.com/1RGu2xKj

if you need anything else please give me an hint

BR
    WastlJ

• Zitat von "WastlJ"

This did not work for me.I still have drops and my max. rate is ´bout 55 MB/s.

I have exactly the same problem despite all the tuning which I have done. I have the same server and same transfer rate as you.
    SMB works fine, only 55MB/s though, AFP does peak higher but frequently bombs out for long periods.

I've also tested the network between the machines using iperf and can confirm the network is not the issue:

Code
    0.0-10.0 sec  1.09 GBytes   937 Mbits/sec
    • Offizieller Beitrag

All these afp problems make me wonder if the afp package in Debian Squeeze is too old. I'm going to setup a machine with omv running on squeeze (try backports kernel as well) and wheezy to see if that is the problem.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I couldn't duplicate these problems with my setup:
    - i5 mac mini - os x 10.8.2
    - fresh install of omv - sempron 145 - one samsung f4
    - two gigabit TrendNet switches

With omv 0.4.28 and 2.6 kernel:
    - 70 mb/s write to smb
    - 70 mb/s write to afp

With omv 0.4.28 and 3.2 kernel:
    - 71 mb/s write to smb
    - 82 mb/s write to afp

with omv 0.4.28 installed on wheezy
    - 71 mb/s write to smb
    - 82 mb/s write to afp

My network traffic using the activity monitor was fairly flat but never dropped below 50 mb/s.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Same issue here. My work folder is both shared in SMB & AFP (same folder on the same RAID)

Using a Mac to copy on the AFP Share : +- 35Mb/s
    Using a Mac to Copy on the SMB Share : +- 100Mb/s

Nothing too harmful, i just work on SMB and keep the AFP for TimeMachine

HP N54 MicroLiant - 4x4To WD RED RAID 5 - OMV 0.5.53

• It ja just a matter of time when apple drops afp completely. With Maverics they implementeda newer version of SMB and made it the standard protocol for file connections. As you said, AFP is only be used for TimeMachine

• But I doubt they will make TimeMachine available via CIFS/SMB...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I doubt they will make TimeMachine available via CIFS/SMB...

Why not? Apple owns Samba. I could see them using smb2 protocol.

• Because they are all-in for Cloud. I doubt they will do more efforts on that type of things in the future.

I mean, we have 2014 and the AppleTV is still dependent on a NAS/PC/Itunes in the Cloud stream. They just don't care about that either...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Why not? *cough* Backblaze *cough*.

Greetings
    David

• Well fun fact, in Leopard 10.5 SMB/CIFS and NFS Share could be used as TimeMachines.

Since 10.6 they prevented it. Maybe it will be back in 10.10...

And maybe they will release update for 10.6/7/8/9 for allowing again SMB/NFS TimeMachines, and maybe the world will be at peace... Oh wait, it's Apple...

The will more likely extend iCloud capacity... Or make you buy a TimeCapsule for the price of a kidney with a crappy 5900RPM WD Green Inside...

HP N54 MicroLiant - 4x4To WD RED RAID 5 - OMV 0.5.53

• kidney with a crappy 5900RPM WD Green Inside...

Would your concern be that the HDD be cheap, the HDD is slow or that the HDD may fail within short time?

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!