Un-Enabling an SMB share before deleting

• I'm new to OMV. I'm coming over from a 6 year old Synology NAS I've been using. One thing that confused me greatly for several hours is the fact that if you don't Un-'Enable' the SMB share before deleting the SMB share, you'll have a very difficult time deleting it from the 'Shared Folder'. I made the mistake at first of simply deleting the SMB share without Un-'Enabling' and I couldn't get it to delete from 'Shared Folders' no matter what I did. I went through uninstalling each and every plug-ins, removing all users, turning off each and every service, all to no avail.

It seems like it would make more sense for OMV to auto Un-'Enable' the SMB share if the user selects 'Delete' for a currently enabled SMB share. Thoughts?

• Hmm, I tested this again and De-'Enabling' didn't seem to be the factor I originally thought. I tried deleting an SMB share with and without De-'Enabling' and both deleted just fine. So I'm not sure what I did originally that caused it to be so difficult to delete from 'Shared Folders'.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Shared folders are not only for samba, so if a folder gets removed from samba not necessarily has to be deleted inmediatly, because it can be used by another service.
    Sometimes is hard to delete a share because people can't remember where the share is being used by another service.
    If you install omvextras you have a tab in shared folder that indicates what service is using which share

• In the case I was originally highlighting I had gone through and disabled 100% of the services, removed 100% of the users/group, uninstalled 100% of the plugins and it was still refusing to allow me to delete the shared drive. Under the usage tab, it showed it wasn't being used and the delete button was ungrayed indicating it thought I should be allowed to delete it. However, when I actually went to delete it, it would result in an error saying the device was in use.

I thought un-'Enabling' from SMB was the culprit, but I was unable to replicate it. So at this point I'm not sure what to say except that deleting shared drives can be a little finicky even if try to dot all your Is and cross all your Ts.

• Yes, I used the tab you mentioned. 3rd tab under 'Shared Folder'. What it listed was identical to what was listed for a pristine newly created drive, ie nothing. Also, I hadn't enabled users home folders and I had checked the reset permission utility was pointing to nothing.

It was quite strange. Nothing to do about it now because I was unable to replicate the issue again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!