AUFS disk full, "copy up" does not happen

• So I started using OMV (1.19) a while ago and used Aufs via AUFS/MHDFS Plugin. The pool seemed to work since my smb share showed me the sum of all participating disks as free space.

First Pool
    The first disk filled up and I received a "disk full" message writing via smb. So I read about other people's issues with not working balancing (cf. "AUFS" balancing). In the end I concluded I might have done an error in the setup.

So I deleted all .wh files, deleted the pool, created a new one and moved all previous data from the full disk via the new pool to another disk.

Current Pool
    Balancing works
    I noticed that on the top-level of the pool, the data is distributed. As I create a new folder on the root level, it correctly chooses the disk with the most free space. Now the other disk got full since aufs behaves like expected for the "pmfs" strategy the plugin set to my fstab. It files new content to the disk where the parent folder is stored.

Copy up does not
    What I expect to happen with a full disk and a new file in a folder which is on the full disk: The "copy up" as described in the aufs manual. But this does not happen. When I write even as root via cp to the pool folder on the full disk, it stops after the disk is full (and gets really slow for the last MBs).

Is there configuration step for AUFS I missed or does anyone know how to overcome this behavior?

fstab:

mount:

df-output

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some people have issues with aufs. Others don't. Never been able to figure out why (especially if removing the whiteout files doesn't fix it). Wondering if it is an issue with pmfs or the fact that you are using lvm?? You are the first I have seen use lvm with aufs. Unless you are getting the volumes from a SAN, using LVM is pointless with aufs.

I would try switching to mergerfs instead of aufs to see if it helps.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The LVM was generated by the Debian installer automatically for an encrypted sytem environment. The disks for the AUFS pool are LUKS containers. Btw.: Where did you derive from there is any LVM involved at all? :D

I'll unmount the aufs pool next and give that mhddfs a try. If this does not work I will update to OMV2.X. And if that also does not help I will come back here and cry being lost in Weltschmerz.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Where did I get the LVM involved? /dev/mapper maybe? :)

Try mergerfs not mhddfs. If you are still on OMV 1.x, upgrade to OMV 2.x.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Ok - thanks so far - I updated to Stone-Burner and installed mergerfs. Now I have two problems.

• The first one is a "ghost"-AUFS in my File System View, which requires me to keep the AUFS plugin installed since I otherwise only get an error message, that there is no backend for aufs when clicking that view. The ghost entry reads like "n/a n/a aufs n/a n/a missing". Some config file got out of sync here I guess. How to clean this up? The mount point is removed from fstab and no aufs is mounted anymore.
    • The second issue is that the mergerfs drive is not listed in the view of file systems in OMV. Following from that I cannot file any shared folders on the pool mountpoint since omv forces me to select a drive prior to selecting a folder.

mount

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need to manually install mergerfs package - apt-get install mergerfs Once you do that, make a very small change to the pool and save/apply. That should everything but the n/a aufs stuff. That stuff won't hurt anything but we can get rid of it by manually editing the config.xml file. I will ask for output a bit later (busy right now).

• Ok - got it, for those who were as dumb as me. There was very recent development on integrating mergerfs into omv. You can read about it in this thread. Don't just grab a new version from github, but use the one from the omv-extras testing repo. You will also need a plugin to get the pool into the normal omv shared folders ecosystem.

Bottomline to use mergerfs in omv:

Thanks for the tip about this alternative. First simple tests seem promising.
    PS: Removed the aufs entry (<mntent> to ... </mntent>) manually from /etc/openmediavault/config.xml - worked like a charm.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No need to manually install mergerfs anymore in unionfilesystems-2.3 (mergerfs is a dependency). I also updated mergerfs to 2.8.

• Hi all,

I also have the disk full symptoms.
    Is it possible to migrate a pool from AUFS to MERGERFS without having to demantle everything?

If yes, does the MERGERFS will solve the problem without config modification?

Thank you for your answer.

Sined

• Offizieller Beitrag

With the latest plugin, you can switch to mergesfs. Just reboot after doing it. No idea if it fixes your problem since I don't have any problems with aufs. But at least mergerfs is actively developed.

• Hi all,

I switched to mergerfs but still get the same problem, Unable to write to the pool. Disk Full! Mergerfs does not switch to another disk.
    I will try to reinstall everything from scratch to see if it solves the problem.

I will keep you updated.

Regards.

Sined

• I also have the disk full symptoms.
    Is it possible to migrate a pool from AUFS to MERGERFS without having to demantle everything?

If yes, does the MERGERFS will solve the problem without config modification?

Thank you for your answer.

If the drive selected for the file to be written to is full that's the error that will be returned. If you use the moveonenospc feature in mergerfs it will try to move the file being written and then continue but only if there is sufficient space elsewhere.

I'm not familiar with how to set the value in OMV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!