AsRock N3700-ITX doesn't boot w/o DVI

• Hi forum,

I just started the migration from my old QNAP-NAS to an OMV-based system.
    My decision was to use the AsRock N3700-ITX board.
    After proper installation and initial configuration of OMV 2 I disconnected the DVI cable and tried to restart the system.
    But it hung up somewhere in the boot process (BIOS, grub or ...).

I found the hint @ technikaffe
    http://www.technikaffe.de/anle…oards_ohne_monitor_nutzen
    regarding the grub config.
    But the result is the same.

The BIOS settings are almost default.

Has anybody of you the encountered the same probs?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Daniel

• Hi Daniel, I got the same issue, system (AsRosk N3700) doesn't reboot without connected display, not so good for headless server! I've solved using a controller driver board kit for LCD/LED screen panel, buyed on ebay a couple of years ago to reuse LCD panel from my died notebook.

OMV 4.0.14 Arrakis - backports kernel 4.14 - omvextrasorg 4.1.2
    AsRock N3700 - 4GB DDR3 - system 120GB SSD - 2x3TB

• woohoo got it working with that post you linked to... here is my /etc/default/grub maybe it will help you too.

• Also, as a test I removed vmalloc=512MB video=LVDS-1:d nomodeset from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and uninstalled the xorg dummy display and rebooted and it still works. So it would seem, that the only modification needed is uncommenting GRUB_TERMINAL=console

• Glad the GRUB_TERMINAL=console command worked for you.

I use that here because I want the serial console available for the boot and access to the system BIOS on my headless ASRock C2550D4I server. Keep that in mind if you ever need those capabilities and don't want to drag out a keyboard and monitor. Just get a serial null modem cable or a serial to USB adapter.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Maybe this device will solve the problem?

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N85QYGS/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&amp;camp=1789&amp;creative=390957&amp;creativeASIN=B00N85QYGS&amp;linkCode=as2&amp;tag=diy-nas-20&amp;linkId=BO7PK4UIVYX7DM4D" class="externalURL" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">amazon.com/gp/product/B00N85QY…0&amp;linkId=BO7PK4UIVYX7DM4D</a>

It was a solution for the same problem on ASUS H87I-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel H87 Mini ITX Motherboards

Small question, how did you use the device (DVI-I) on yours Motherboard (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H87IPLUS/gallery/) when the Motherboard has DVI-D graphics output ?? The same DVI-D is on Asrock N3700ITX (http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/N3700-ITX/).

• I ran into the same problem with the ASRock N3150DC-ITX board. My solution was to use UEFI boot. In the BIOS it's under the option disable legacy or some similar description. The OMV installer isn't UEFI capable so I installed Debian 7.9.0 (which is) and then installed OMV on top of it.

I also bought a dummy HDMI connector from Amazon for $15, but ended up not needing it after I enabled UEFI booting.

The console fix sounds good too, wish I had know about that earlier. What is the practical effect of using the console setting? Would it disable the use of a monitor entirely if you were to hook one up?

• What is the practical effect of using the console setting? Would it disable the use of a monitor entirely if you were to hook one up?

I realize the thread has gone semi-dormant, but I'd love to learn the answer to this question if anyone knows. I did several Google searches but nothing really explains the practical impact of what the console setting does.

• The console is accessible via a serial port connection to another machine running a terminal emulation program such as Putty, SecureCRT, or Hyperterminal. Thus a "headless" machine can be controlled via the keyboard and monitor of the machine running the terminal emulation program.

I have three headless machines that have console connections to a workstation; my AsRock C2550D4I which runs OMV, and two PogoPlugs running Debian Wheezy. The PogoPlugs have no video and keyboard capability whatsoever, they can only be manipulated via ssh over the ethernet port or via the serial console.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I use that here because I want the serial console available for the boot and access to the system BIOS on my headless ASRock C2550D4I server. Keep that in mind if you ever need those capabilities and don't want to drag out a keyboard and monitor. Just get a serial null modem cable or a serial to USB adapter.

Thanks gderf.

Your board 'C2550D4I' is geared towards server applications, so I'm guessing you have an option in BIOS to enable a serial console for BIOS changes? I'm guessing this wouldn't be possible with my consumer focused board as I have no options to enable this in BIOS.

If I did set Grub to 'console' would I still be able to drag over and use a monitor & keyboard in case the console wasn't working and SSH wasn't working over ethernet for some reason? Or would a monitor and keyboard not work until console' is removed from Grub ?

• The C2550D4I BIOS is accessible during bootup from the serial console, the IPMI over ethernet interface (I can boot/reboot, power up/down the machine and get into the BIOS over the internet if needed), or via an attached keyboard and monitor during POST. I don't recall any special BIOS settings to accomplish this.

I don't know if enabling 'console' in grub will prevent an attached monitor and keyboard from working in Linux once grub is running. But I have never had the need to try this.

I don't see how enabling 'console' in grub could disable the keyboard and monitor during the POST, as grub isn't loaded that early. I guess you could try that now, before you might actually need it in the future. Also, there is probably a way to enter commands to disable 'console' from the grub prompt so long as you have enough delay set to be able to prevent the default boot setting from kicking in.

--

• I have no idea if the PCI-e slot can take an adapted SSD and be recognized by OMV. I boot mine from 2.5 inch SSD in an external case that is connected to a rear panel USB port. But the USB port on the motherboard could be used instead if I wanted the SSD inside the case, but not connected to a SATA port.

I put a USB 3.0 adapter in the PCIe slot on mine, giving me two ports on the case front panel, and two on the card bracket.

--

• On a related topic, has anyone else had intermittent freeze issues with the Realtec network chip used on this board?

I believe your board has a Realtek 8111GR Chip? I don't have that exact board, but both my systems with 8111 family chips had intermittent freezes with OMV and/or Ubuntu Desktop, which I assume has similar drivers to OMV's Debian base.

One with an 8111G did it enough that I disabled it and dropped in a used Intel Pro 1000 PT card I found on EBay. The issue cleared right up after that.

Another board with a 8111F/E chip in it, was much better behaved. It would freeze for up for a few seconds at time, but always resumed and with no loss of data.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!