Raid vs. non Raid - spindown

• I have a huge amount of data. Some is not important at all (like TV recordings), other is vital. All my important data is on a Raid 5 - with a cyclic backup job to an external hard drive.

I do care about energy consumption, so I installed the autoshutdown plugin and set a spindown time for all physical hard drives, except the system drive, which is a NAND stick.

Currently my NAS has 3 WD Red harddrives configured as Raid 5. Now I'm thinking about moving another hard drive (3 TB WD red, from Nix-based DVB receiver) to the NAS.

So I could either expand my Raid 5 (gaining overall performance) OR I could use the new drive as a separate volume.

Now to my question: Will spin-down work on a per volume basis? Will my Raid 5 go to sleep if I place my recordings on a non-raid disk and no shares on the raid are being used at that moment? Or is spin-down handled on system basis? My primary concern is wear of raid disks.

thx for any help,

Thomas

• Spinning down the Raid disks works like charm. I installed another hard drive (non Raid) and set up a spin down time of 15 mins. I want the Raid5 to spin down after 30 mins if not needed (= no busy share on Raid), and I want my new drive to do the same (= no busy share on that drive). It's not possible to hear any difference, since the fans in the enclosure are too noisy. Will spin down work for both volumes independently? If so, I'm happy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

you can open a shell and use

Code
    hdparm -C /dev/sda

if you get "active/idle" the drive sda is spinning
    if you get "standby" the drive sda is down

I use a small script to check the status of the drives (in my case sda, sdb and sdc). The script writes the result with a time stamp in three files (hdparma, hdparmb and hdparmc). I run a regular cron job to execute the script (e.g. every 10 min).

then I have a second script which is sending me the three files once per day (also executed by a cron job)

• Guys,

I used to have SMART enabled with Standby mode in SMART Service, but my OMV keep having Smart Prefailure Attribute Spin Up Time Change whenever OMV boot up, so I turned it off.
    The settings was to check every three hours.
    Now my SMART is not running.
    How do fix this?

@macom,

What's the time duration that the second script check?
    Will this work for my problem?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

What's the time duration that the second script check?
    Will this work for my problem?

I run the second script once per day. I have a daily cron job for this. The sript sends me the three files by mail. When I receive the files I can check when the disk was idle and when it was in standby. After I am sure everything is working fine, I stop the cron job.
    But this is not related to your problem, I am afraid.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!