AM1 motherboards w/ Realtek RTL8111GR LAN, any luck?

• Anyone have an AM1 motherboard, or any motherboard with the built-in Realtek RTL8111GR LAN and got it to work? I am using an Intel 1000/Pro PCI-E card which works but I the internal Nic does not and I would prefer to have it working as a backup. When I run omv-firstaid and configure the NIC I get a firmware error so I'm guessing it is lacking a driver.

• Worked OK for me on my MSI AM1I. I don't use that machine for OMV now, though, moved to an A10-7800@45W on an Asus A88X-Gamer which as 8 SATAs and Intel NIC. The AM1 choked on Plex transcoding the odd time, the A10 at 45W mode uses less total power, as I don't need to also run a HBA as I did on the AM1.

About to move to OMV 3.0, running Sonarr, Emby, NZBGet on a Pentium G4520 on an AsRock B150M Pro4S and 16GB DDR4 in a Lian-Li PC-M25A case.
    Sub 10W idle power draw, thanks to SuperFlower 350W 80Plus Gold PSU.

• Anyone have an AM1 motherboard, or any motherboard with the built-in Realtek RTL8111GR LAN and got it to work? I am using an Intel 1000/Pro PCI-E card which works but I the internal Nic does not and I would prefer to have it working as a backup. When I run omv-firstaid and configure the NIC I get a firmware error so I'm guessing it is lacking a driver.

Sorry to reawaken this thread but I am using same embedded nic on an ASRock AM1H-ITX board. I attempted to use rsync and scp to transfer some files from an older nas but the speed was an issue for some reason with compression or some throughput related settings. I looked at my router and switch, wd red drive, and yet the transfer speed sucked (less than 1.2MB avg on a 1Gb router. So, i attempted ftp that didn't use compression or get fancy. The problem I encountered was the nic began to crash on me during wget ftp of huge files. It would disconnect from network entirely and require a restart of the box.

There happens to be others that had problems on the internet and this seemed to resolve my issue entirely. I followed it verbatim:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=101836

AMD Athlon 5350
    APUASRock AM1H-ITX mobo
    PNY CS1311 SSD 120GB 6GB/s TLC (for boot only)
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 x1
    Thermaltake Core V1 case
    External Toshiba 90w PSU brick ac adapter
    OMV version: Release: 2.2.1

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Frogdaddy () aus folgendem Grund: spelling

• Sorry to reawaken this thread but I am using same embedded nic on an ASRock AM1H-ITX board. I attempted to use rsync and scp to transfer some files from an older nas but the speed was an issue for some reason with compression or some throughput related settings. I looked at my router and switch, wd red drive, and yet the transfer speed sucked (less than 1.2MB avg on a 1Gb router. So, i attempted ftp that didn't use compression or get fancy. The problem I encountered was the nic began to crash on me during wget ftp of huge files. It would disconnect from network entirely and require a restart of the box.

There happen to be others that had problems on the net and this seemed to resolve me issue entirely. I followed it verbatim:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=101836

Hello, I have the same Motherboard and CPU as you and was wondering what steps you took to install the drivers in the link you listed. I'm still very new to Linux and seems like the link uses arch link commends(pacman) and was just wondering what steps you took to install it on omv. Thanks

• Hello, I have the same Motherboard and CPU as you and was wondering what steps you took to install the drivers in the link you listed. I'm still very new to Linux and seems like the link uses arch link commends(pacman) and was just wondering what steps you took to install it on omv. Thanks

Disclaimer: I'm offering suggestions based on my personal experience and care should be used. I'm not sure of the impact to your particular environment or system. I'm going based on the limited information you've provided.

With that said you should have success as I did.
    Yes the initial forum is related to Arch with Realtek discussion, it goes on to reference Realtek driver download site, the driver is a generic linux driver for any Realtek NIC and any flavor of linux. OMV is built on Debian, so you're good. The enclosed README may have more information on that.

I'm not sure how you're going to do this without some linux command knowledge but I'll do my best. Use my commands along with that forums instructions:

1. Enable ssh under services from OMV gui (starts service to be able to get to box and execute commands)
    2. Download program to ssh to your machine (putty.exe): http://www.chiark.greenend.org…atham/putty/download.html
    3. Launch putty to ssh (host IP of machine) and login using your user name and password you setup during install. Not your UI password, may be root user.
    4. To ease the transfer of the downloaded driver, make sure SMB/CIFS is enabled under services in OMV gui. This will allow you to drag and drop to an existing share you've created visible from a windows machine. This is what I did without messing with ftp and such.
    5. Follow this link (http://www.realtek.com/downloa…nTypeID=3&GetDown=false#2) to Realtek driver download website and select the the latest kernel at top under linux (LINUX driver for kernel 3.x and 2.6.x and 2.4.x). I think it's Global hyperlink.
    6. Get this file to the share via drag and drop.
    7. From the ssh connection, cd /media/uid/sharename. Run copy command to get the file to /tmp folder: cp r8168-8.018.00.tar.bz2 /tmp .
    8. From OMV-Extras.org plugin, go to Kernel tab. There's an option to Install kernel headers. I'm not a programmer but this is used to build the driver for your system in order for the Realtek nic to be able to use it. Not 100% this will be needed but it might. You can try building the driver with below steps, but it may fail without version headers installed.
    9. You have to download from the ssh connection the makefile utility, this is called by the Realtek script, otherwise you can't build the driver. This is done from ssh connection by running: apt-get install make. I've found if you don't download this, the autorun.sh script will fail because make is not installed. It will error out on you without it.
    10. cd /tmp/ run following command to extract the contents of the Realtek driver download: tar xvfs r8168-8.018.00.tar.bz2
    11. cd /tmp/r8168-8.018.00 or whatever directory the extraction creates.
    12. from this directory run the enclosed script ./autorun.sh (this will make or build the driver and install it for you).
    13. Reboot the box from ssh by invoking command: reboot.
    14. After the box comes up, you should be good to go.
    14. Turn off ssh for security purposes from ui services.

Observe if you get more network related lockups or disconnects. I'm glad this is available for our built-in nics. To me it's unacceptable to expect people to install another nic to resolve their issues when this one is perfectly fine. I've seen a lot on the forum "get an intel nic and you'll be good" or the "realtek version x.x is crap". If I have to start adding boards and resources to my configuration, it increases my costs and temperature. I'm finding the board and APU we have is pretty good for purposes of a media center and storage.

If you have problems, post it and I'll attempt to assist you.

AMD Athlon 5350
    APUASRock AM1H-ITX mobo
    Thermaltake Core V1 case

• @Frogdaddy:I just registered to the board to thank you. :thumbup:

I am on a different board (ASRock N3150-ITX), which is using the RTL8111GR as well. But I had the same issues: when transfering big files, my connection to the nas died after a couple of seconds and the sys log showed "r8169 0000:03:00.0: eth0: link up".

Your guide fixed it. Thank you so much!

• @Frogdaddy:I just registered to the board to thank you. :thumbup:

I am on a different board (ASRock N3150-ITX), which is using the RTL8111GR as well. But I had the same issues: when transfering big files, my connection to the nas died after a couple of seconds and the sys log showed "r8169 0000:03:00.0: eth0: link up".

Your guide fixed it. Thank you so much!

That is awesome to hear.

P.S. any subsequent updates may negate installing this driver. I haven't used my system in quite some time and may have run an update between then and now. My NIC drops started occurring again. Therefore, I had to run this procedure again with the latest driver from Realtek. Just beware.

AMD Athlon 5350
    APUASRock AM1H-ITX mobo
    Thermaltake Core V1 case

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Frogdaddy () aus folgendem Grund: spelling

• Hi all

Can I somehow do this on OMV3 with backported kernel Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64?
    Cannot see the option for installing "kernel headers" on kenel page and don't know if this is for my kernel. Please help :)

• Hello, I've just installed Kernel-4.8.12 on OMV2 and it already has the right driver.

if you have access to internet from your nas, you can type sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) and then follow the FrogDaddy's Tutorial.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!