OMV configuration backup

• Hi Guys,

is there any point in the menu where I can do a backup of the configuration settings in OMV?
    As the configuration always take some time I like of course to secure loosing those config.-settings.

best regards
    openalf

• You can use the backup plugin. Install Clonezilla with the help of the plugin and then you can boot Clonezilla, use Putty to connect using SSH as the Backup Plugin suggests and make an image of the system drive to another drive in case you break your config and you need to restore.

Hope it helps!

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

• Zitat

I guess in that case I use the terminal in Ubuntu and ssh Clonezilla is that right?

Correct.

The IP address may be different from the one assigned to the OMV Operating System. Maybe there's an option on your DHCP Server (maybe your router) to assign an static IP address that is linked to a MAC Address (the MAC of OMV's Network Card). If you don't have that option, I'm pretty sure that your DHCP server will assign the same IP address without having to configure it manually, but you'll have to use some program like Advanced IP Scanner in Windows to discover the Clonezilla IP.

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

• Is there any tutorial available where I can see what steps needs to be done. Actually I haven't the chance to get OMV running again.
    Does it mean that in the moment when I'm doing a backup a second boot is starting up?

• When you install the Clonezilla by clicking the Install button in the backup plugin, you can choose if you want to boot Clonezilla (only one time for the next reboot) or booting OMV by default. When you boot to clonezilla, you have to SSH to the box and run

Code
    sudo clonezilla

then you can choose all the parameters like which disk have to be imaged (backed up) and which other is the destination for the completed image. Then you reboot and it should boot to OpenMediaVault as always.

My NAS:

Plugin list:

Zitat

• Hi, well I still have trouble to get that fixed. I run a SuperMicro system where I can Enter the system from a different IP address.
    When I do the reboot I see the IP address of the PC which is 192.168.10.26 where the OMV is running on 192.168.10.27.

But I can't find the way where I can start clonezilla. Any idea what I have to do?

• I think it's not that difficult! You have to click "Clonezilla" in the backup plugin.
    Then, you reboot the machine using the WebGUI and after a bit of time (wait for about 5 minutes), the box will have booted Clonezilla. After that, you will have to discover which is the new IP address for your machine (you can use Advanced IP Scanner in Windows for example) and then, you have to log in via SSH (using Putty for example) into the IP you have discovered:

(Note that I have 2 different presets to use if I'm connecting to OpenMediaVault or Clonezilla because the router assigns 2 different IPs depending on which OS is detected)

After that, you open an SSH connection and it will ask for a username, the default is "user" and the password is "live". When you successfully log in, you have to type "sudo clonezilla" and then the program starts and you have to define some easy parameters (location of the backed up image, source disk to take the image from...). When it finishes, you have to reboot the machine and it should boot to OpenMediaVault and you should be able to access the system normally.

My NAS:

Plugin list:

Zitat

• Many thanks that worked fine so far, but what do I choice in Clonezilla?

How do I set that one? I would move it to the RAID or is that a bad idea?

• I prefer doing a directory in the / of a Data disk called "Clonezilla" so when you choose where to store the image, you can have it on /Clonezilla.

By the way, it seems you are trying to save the image to the same disk as the Open Media Vault system! You have to save it on another disk.

You should cancel and go to the CLI and execute "sudo clonezilla" again and mount your data disk as /home/partimag

My NAS:

Plugin list:

Zitat

• Using images. Then they will ask for a disk to SAVE the image in. Choose your DATA drive.

After that I think there's a parameter to choose Beginner or Advanced Mode --> Beginner
    Then Choose the SOURCE disk to take the image from --> Your OS Drive

I think Clonezilla is very straightforward for noobs as me if you don't mess with advanced options

My NAS:

Plugin list:

Zitat

• Of course LOCAL DEVICE. You'll save the image in a LOCAL disk attached to the OMV Box, don't you?

My NAS:

Plugin list:

Zitat

• Also, but don't trust flash memory for backups. It's easier to have it stored in a data drive and if something crashes, you can restore almost immediatly because the image is in a drive that is always attached to the box. So maybe you could have the image in a USB and another in the Data drives.

My NAS:

Plugin list:

Zitat

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!