Allow OVPN clients - using OVPN-Plugin (not OVPN AS!) - to access other servers on the OVPN-Server LAN

• Hi all!

I installed the OVPN-plugin and can cannot to the omv-server (which is the ovpn-server as well) but I can't connect to any other server on the same LAN as the omv-server resides.

What do I have to do in irder to reach other servers via VPN from my OVPN-client? Please, if possible, tell me the detailed commands I have to run. Thanks in advance.

My setup is as follows:

LAN ip: 192.168.2.0
    router: 192.168.2.1
    omv server 192.168.2.33
    synology server 192.168.2.176

Meanwhile I have the following situation:

I have a synology server with a OpenVPN configuration which allows me to reach all servers on my LAN from my client via VPN.

The server config of my synology server is as follows:

The routes are:

As expected, because I did not change anything manually (only via openvpn.conf).

And really nothing within iptables:

When I connect to the above configuration I can ping the omv server, the synology server, the router and all other servers residing on 192.168.2.0 using their native lan-adresses.

----

Now I show the the server.conf from my omv server:

You see, after trying a lot of config parameters I simply copied and edited (where neccessary) the server.config.
    route looks similar

And so do the iptables (it makes no difference, if I delete the first two ACCEPT-lines in omv-network/firewall).

When I connect to this config, I am only able to reache the omv-server from the ovpn client. No access to the router, no access to the synology server, nor any other server on my LAN.

Any help is very much appreciated

• You need to enable forwarding in the omv server.

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

thanks for your response.

I forgot, that I already tried it. I did try again and restarted vpn server also. Then reconnected from my client. Same effect: Only 192.168.2.1 is reachable from vpn client.

---
    edit: Even a reboot does not change anything.

• Phew!!!!!

I took me quite some time to get the access of other servers on the same lan as the omv-openvpn-server working again.

I nearly tried everything.
    1.) I set up another omv-server on a nearly identical hardware and the access of other servers worked instantaneously.
    2.) I compared the configs. First /etc/openvpn later whole /etc/*/*. Especially /etc/network* - but nothing.
    3.) I noticed that the failing server had no eth0 but only eth1. I managed to reconfigure the server, so that it works well with eth0. - No change.
    4.) I remembered that I installed the backport kernel for enabling virtualbox and/or docker. I switched back to the original kernel - no change: I could not reach other servers. So I switched back to the backport kernel.
    5.) I spent quite some time in order to understand "route" and "iptables", I compared the two servers over and over again. The most obvious difference was fail2ban was installed on the server, which did not work well.
    6.) So I de-installed fail2ban. No change.
    7.) I de-installed docker (had some real trouble in de-installing a half-installed omv-docker-plugin): No change.
    8.) Again I switched back to the original kernel and - hoorah! I can reach other servers via openvpn client.

At the moment I am quite glad, because I can reach all my servers on my lan at home from my openvpn-client and can run my virtual-machines. It is only a bit annoying that docker seems to need the backport kernel, which seems to inhibit the routing to/from other servers on my home lan.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I forgot about this, when your reaching clients in the LAN, packets exiting OMV that come from openvpn to neighbour lan clients, they receive an ip from the openvpn client (10.8.0.0/24), the lan clients won't know how to respond to this because they don't know how reach that subnet.
    You can solve this by either adding a static route on each lan client or
    You need a masquerade rule that transforms all openvpn subnet into he OMV lan ip. Something like this

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o eth0 -s 10.8.0.0/24 -d 192.168.2.0/24 -j MASQUERADE

• Offizieller Beitrag

@nassy i was just testing this in a VM, there is a bug indeed with mkconf (You can check here ). There is a iptables rule that refers to public ip. That public ip fetching is done with a bash ifconfig grep, but doesn't exclude docker subnets so the SNAT rule comes likes this

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to 172.17.42.1 That 172.x subnet shouldn't be there, it should be the public ip, that's needed when you want to route vpn client internet through the server

Now i still think you need masquerade to reach lan clients (or a static route in clients or your router)So after the server starts, flush the nat table iptables -t nat -F and add the masquerade rule from before, now try an ping from a vpn client to a lan client. If you can use tcpdump in the lan client (in linux, windows would be wireshark) to observe the packets coming

tcpdump -nni eth0 -e icmp

• I just want to say the OpenVPN plugin works. I use it on a RPi 2 at my office. nassy has done something to his system that has messed it up. Or his configuration is no good.

If you are having problems with you config read this thread.

Setting up openvpn

PS- I connect to internal LAN site at my office all the time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That doesn't matter in this case, LAN clients are receiving packets coming from 10.8.0.0, clients don't know how to route that address. That's why he either:

1. Adds a masquerade rule (packets will convert their source to omv lan ip when they hit lan clients), he seems to already have this. The SNAT rule was probably acting before this that's why it works without docker enabled
    2. Add a global static route in the router pointing 10.8.0.0/24 to omv lan ip
    3. Add individual static route to each lan client, same direction as mentioned before

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!