Problems with WOL

• Actually it looks like the NIC's own "BIOS" (configuration program) may not be set up correctly, and could be attempting to do a PXE (network boot). There should be a key combination you can press during POST (Power-On Self Test), you have about 2 seconds to do that to get into the NIC's configuration menu - Alt-S, Alt-I, something like that.

Oh, and also check the boot order in BIOS, leave just the USB stick as primary boot and disable secondary/tertiary boot or "Try other boot media" if such exists. These brand-name CMOS setup programs are a bit odd.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok one more google dig and your phot shows that computer has ME extension which I guess is would be something like the modern IMPI in some Intel chipsets. You need to get into the config of that extension. I am guessing that looks like a corporate workstation so it might be locked.

maybe @spyalelo can help you

reading the Intel manual the console can be settled up to be on for wake for certain states, I guess they setted like this to do remote management or maintainance during off-work hours and performe remote wake and have access to the console

• Actually it looks like the NIC's own "BIOS" (configuration program) may not be set up correctly, and could be attempting to do a PXE (network boot). There should be a key combination you can press during POST (Power-On Self Test), you have about 2 seconds to do that to get into the NIC's configuration menu - Alt-S, Alt-I, something like that.

Oh, and also check the boot order in BIOS, leave just the USB stick as primary boot and disable secondary/tertiary boot or "Try other boot media" if such exists. These brand-name CMOS setup programs are a bit odd.

Ok one more google dig and your phot shows that computer has ME extension which I guess is would be something like the modern IMPI in some Intel chipsets. You need to get into the config of that extension. I am guessing that looks like a corporate workstation so it might be locked.

maybe @spyalelo can help you

reading the Intel manual the console can be settled up to be on for wake for certain states, I guess they setted like this to do remote management or maintainance during off-work hours and performe remote wake and have access to the console

You both just refreshed my mind. I remember going once into these NIC settings. It didn't knew that the NIC itself could have its own "Bios", but I do remember that I had to reset the password to access it and that there where plenty of options (at that point I was not aware what were they for). It does make sense that the computer hangs trying to boot from the network. I'll try that when I get home and will keep you posted. Thanks a lot!

Regarding the boot devices, I left only the USB stick. All other things are disabled and I already selected the boot source as "local hard drive" instead of "network source".

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• So, I followed your advice and checked the ME Bios settings. At first I disabled Intel AMT because it seemed to make the thi gs even worst. After disabling it I tried to WOL. The computer boots, then it says "trying to boot from local drive" and then a message saying "ME Bios sync successful". But after that nothing happens. I have to push the off switch to shut down and restart the computer.

Then I tried disabling the ME Bios completely to avoid dealing with it. Doing so, I get the same message " trying to boot from local drive". The ME Bios message does not appear, but the computer still does not boot to OMV.

I will try using a HDD with Windows and see if the PC manages to boot. I am afraid that the computer can't see the USB SSD, although I already enabled the USB boot option and disabled all other boot sources (CD, HDD, network).

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

• More things to try:

• F10 during POST to get into Computer Setup

• Computer Setup > Advanced: WOL after power loss - enabled
      • Computer Setup > Advanced: Remote wakeup boot source - local hard drive (not remote server)
    • Ctrl-P during POST to get into ME BIOS Extension Setup and fiddle with the settings there

(Source, page 9)

Then, in the Technical Reference Guide, chapter 5.10.1, you get some details on WOL. 5.10.3 below mentions a PROSet Application software (for Windows) which allows you to set various wakeup events. It also mentions that the Magic Packet needs to contain the MAC address repeated 16 times.

There's also a Service Reference Guide with a LOT more technical data and references to various tools for management. This is a BOOK, 264 pages!!!

[later edit] Just to note, the symptoms indicate that WOL is indeed working correctly: the system wakes up from suspend/standby (S1/S3). However, after that, there's something else controlling the boot sequence in a different way than the standard boot. This is unusual for a generic PC but quite possible on a corporate box due to its built-in management subsystems. This led me to think that the BIOS has a separate setting for the boot sequence/source in case of a WOL event, and indeed it does: "Remote wakeup boot source" should be set to "Local hard drive". In a corporate managed environment, it wouldn't be unusual to have a scenarion in which a sysadmin needs to update a workstation remotely, so a network-wide broadcast of a WOL packet with the right MAC address could be used to trigger the boot from a specific network location - perhaps a wipe&fresh install, or a standalone utility to run a patch&antivirus scan.

• Good news at last, well, sort off...

As subzero79 and puterfixer suggested, I tried to WOL the PC using a different OS. I chucked in the HDD of my laptop with W7 inside and tested if the PC booted. First, I started the computer normally to check that Windows was working. And it did.

Then, I shut down and tried to start it again using WOL and it finally worked. At this point, all Intel AMT and ME-Bios features are disabled, "Remote wakeup boot source" is set to local hard drive.

It seems to me that WOL works but it fails to see the USB HDD as a bootable source for WOL. It recognizes only HDDs connected to the Sata ports. Although it's a little odd, I think that HP never designed the PC to use a USB as primary and only boot drive.

Following the documentation that puterfixer kindly provided (thanks for that), the USB headers in this model are intended for a ready boost drive.

So, long story short: WOL works but only with a Sata drive as boot drive. A USB drive may be used, but WOL fails to see it as boot drive. I don't think it's possible to change that...

I'll think about getting a cheap small SSD and a HDD caddy ( this model has only one HDD and a CD drive which I can't really use). I'll put the SSD with the OS in the Sata port and the HDD with the data in the HDD caddy.

Custom mini-ITX build

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Eryan ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!