Update from 1.18 to 2.x before or after hard disk upgrade?

• I am currently with 2 issues:

• my HP Proliant Microserver N36L is currently still running version 1.18 (I have seen that some have a version 1.19 but my update manager doesn't give me update for a while now and I am still on 1.18).
    • I am at the limit of my 1TB disks (I am running 2x 1TB in Raid1 and 1x 1TB as a internal backup disk where I manually trigger a mirroring of the Raid1 1-2 per week + 2 external HDD roating each Friday offsite). I have purchased two Seagate NAS HDD (ST3000VN000) to replace the current Raid1 and I will get the other 3TB disks in the next few days (1 normal desktop HDD for the internal backup disk and 2 external HDD for the rotating offsite backups).

Question 1: Should I upgrade to OMV 2.x before I install the new disks or after?

Question 2: How do I best insert the new disks? I assume that I have to configure all the shares new or is there a way to avoid this? What if I take one of the 1TB disks of the Raid1 out and insert one of the 3TB disks? Would the data be mirrored to the 3TB disk without a problem? And if I later replace the second 1TB Raid1 disk with the other 3TB disk, would I then have a Raid1 with 3TB or would I have a Raid1 with 1TB (throwing away 2TB of space - not gonna do that of course).

I am just wondering what the easiest solution is to subsitute the 2x 1TB disks form the current Raid1 with the new 3TB disks? The internal backup disk doesn't concern me much.

Would be happy about any hint and idea that you can give me. Would be great to know how experts would do the move.

• Hi @berritorre,

If you're not concerned about the current config such as which plugins are installed, etc. I would make a backup of critical data such as personal files, music, videos, or other things you may not be able to redownload easily from the internet. Take out your current internal 1TB you have been using as a mirror backup and use that to restore your data in a USB dock or plug it back in after you have a fresh install of OMV 2.1. Be sure to make a backup to your 2 external drives as well. Install your new 3TB drives. Configure 2.1 the way you want it then restore your data. This is what I would do if I am changing hardware. Especially with new disks. Backup the data to an external source. Rebuild OMV. Restore the data.

I hope that helps. Let us know how it works out for you. :)

• So you would suggest a totally fresh install over just upgrading from 1.18 to 2.1?

I guess I forgot to mention that I have a small HDD for the operating system, then the Raid1 and 1 internal backup disk. I am less concerned about the plugins than configuring the shares and users (not a big deal, but it could take a bit until I have that back as it was.

• So you would suggest a totally fresh install over just upgrading from 1.18 to 2.1?

Since your replacing your 1TB drives with 3TB Drives HDDs I would go with a fresh install. But that is just my opinion. :thumbup: I figured that would also save you some time since you were having issues upgrading to 1.19 then to 2.1. If you still prefer to upgrade then we'll need to see what's holding you up. Have you tried running omv-update?

• When I check the update page in the OMV-Webgui, there is nothing showing up.

I didn't try to go via console yet, because I thought it was just that there were no new updates at the moment (I had seen the communciation that there will only be security updates for the 1.x version since the 2.x is out).

But then when I researched my issue here I found out that there is a newer version.

I will look into omv-update.

• Hi!

Thanks for the response. Did the both first routines and got the following error:

E: The value 'stable' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources

I guess it is the same problem as here: OMV 1.18 CRON-APT Error: The value 'stable' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources

This is probably also the problem why my GUI doesn't show me any available updates, because "stable" is now the 2.x version and not the 1.x branch anymore. Thus it can't find the stable version of 1.x?

I didn't do the omv-release-upgrade part yet, because I want to check the installed plugins first, so that I don't run into trouble. Will check which plugins need to be deactived before the upgrade.

• I followed the instructions in the other thread, removed this file and the update to 1.19 went through succesfully (via command line).

Now I'll check my list of installed plugins to see if I need to uninstall some of them for the upgrade to 2.1. I didn't see anything about deactiving plugins in this tutorial (Upgrade to OMV 2.x), but I remember that plugins can cause quite some trouble during upgrades to another big version. So I'll do some more research.

• With this release I have seen less problems then of any we had in the past. If you have a bad plugin it seems it does not work. I don't know if I have seen any that prevents the web gui from loading, which is good.

• OK, looked around a bit, didn't find any problems in the forum, but deleted some plugins that I hardly use anyway and basically only left USB Backup active, upgraded and it seems that it has worked. At least I could access the webgui without a problem.

I will now look into how to put the disks there.

I guess I will have to delete the shares first, because otherwise I can't unmount the disks, then install the disks and then build the raid again.

Wish me luck... :D

• Aaron would be best to ask this question. I tend to only remember what I want to. I don't deal with disk issues every day. I may only mess with disks once every 6 months or so. I don't have much interest in disk management. I can say that I've never had an issue with ext4 filesystem.

I will put a notification on your other post so Aaron will take a look.

• Thanks for the response, @tekkb

I didn't have any problems with EXT4 either, so I would probably go with it. I was just wondering, because as far as I know, each file system can be split up into sectors of a certain size or something and depending on the size of these sectors, you can loose some space.

I don't know, I am also far from an expert. But someone explained that to me once, when I asked why I should still have some space left on the disk, but I couldn't save anything anymore.

Will wait for a response from Aaron. Let's see if he has a tip for me. If not, with 3TB I should be fine for the next 2-3 years and then I can start to delete files from older projects (usually need to store them about 4 years and with some clients we have contracts that state 10 years).

• Thanks for the reply. This was probably my other thread (where you also answered ;) ). Aaron helped me there and I applied it with success. Freed up some 40 GB of my backup disk, so I can run it a little longer before replacing it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!